Tuesday 15 November 2011

A slow 5k and some confusing data streams!

I didn't do very well today. Call it post bike ride fatigue... Lack of general fitness... Post tikka masala... All of the above.... Anyway, better the guy that runs than the guys that sits on his arse, eh?

I had dinner (tikka masala) and decided that I was needing to get out and go for a run. I dressed warmly as it was windy though the sky was fairly clear... So 7 pm, nice and dark, with a perfect, clear night sky... Beautiful running conditions. I was wearing my Lidl running tights and matching top, with a very light windbreak (courtesy Kate and Steve for my 50th). I had a flashing reflector hanging from my Runners Forum UK ball cap, and reflective straps on my ankles. Need to be seen, eh! I also had my new Nike running gloves on, although in hindsight i could have done without them! I had my Garmin 310XT on as well as RunKeeper app going on my Nokia C7. I've never successfully used the RunKeeper so wanted to test it against the Garmin.

I set out on a frequently used 5 k route I call the Duntreath loop. I had the phone in the arm holster and no sound on RunKeeper, so no active data coming out of that. Garmin was showing the first mile about 9:30 pace, and I was on the slow-down from there. Next 2 miles were decidedly worse.... As I said, I was out there to be out there and not to be quick!

When I got to the 5K point, I switched the Garmin off. It showed 31:30. Sounded about right. I then fished the phone out of the holster and it showed a similar time, but 0.8 additional miles!

I got home and stripped off all the sweaty gear, anxious to compare the readouts of Garmin vs RunKeeper. The latter tracking map when you zoom in looked like I'd been running zigzags the whole way! http://runkeeper.com/user/GregUsrey/activity/60022229
Garmin is not available because the USB ANT agent thing is hiding. I'll need to find the damn thing! Meantime, I went to google maps and measured the course to measure and it is definitely a 5k course!

All in all, it was good to be out there, despite Caitlin's friends laughing about my running gear. Men in tights; maybe not the height of teenage fashion!

Ps. Forgot to say. Had the senseiser headphones on, listening to my whole playlist on random select. In future, I think I'll pick a particular playlist as sometimes you kinda want to know what is coming next!

Cheers for now....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Glasgow,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment